A Message to the World
Join Hands May 21st, 2016 and say NO to filthy fuels and YES to clean energy.
“It’s the most important thing we can do as human beings” – Dave Rauschkolb, founder.
May 21st, 2016 is our 6th anniversary, and extremely timely.
The Atlantic Ocean – from Virginia to Georgia- is on the verge of being opened to industrial offshore drilling for the first time in history. The federal government is also considering the use of seismic airguns to search for oil and gas deposits deep below the ocean floor in an area twice the size of California, stretching all the way from Delaware to Florida.
Meanwhile, Coal plants are being retrofitted and updated, and filthy fuels are being transported by rail around the USA.
On May 21st, 2016 we will join hands in silent solidarity to say NO to the use of filthy fuels on land and in our oceans. It’s time to start pulling together your events now! Just click on your state or globe for existing international events and/or begin the process of organizing a 15 minute event near you.
We have all the materials you need. Just click on the RESOURCES link above where you will find all the press materials, posters, banners, talking points, t-shirt example designs for printing by you and many other helpful ideas to create a successful event.
We invite activists to organize HANDS events to:
- protect our communities by protesting the extraction and use of fossil fuels — and instead accelerate the shift to clean, renewable energy.
- Oppose offshore and Arctic drilling, and seismic blasting
- Protesting mountaintop removal, tar sands mining, hydraulic fracturing, and LNG export terminals
- Draw attention to the impact of climate disruption such as rising sea levels, super storms, drought, forest fires, flooding and ocean acidification.
- Reject the KXL and other tar sands pipelines
Thank you May 16th 2015 Hands Heroes!
Our events were in Greece, Belize, Australia, New Zealand, Nigeria, India, Egypt, Canada and 20 States around our nation. Thousands of people joined hands to say NO to offshore drilling plans and yes to figuring out renewable energies.
2015 events were sponsored by Sierra Club; Surfrider; Foundation; Southern Alliance for Clean Energy; Oceana, Friends of the Earth; Center for a Sustainable Coast; and Gulf Restoration Network. Thank you ALL
Visit our FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/HandsAcrossTheSand
Hands Across the Sand / Land, founded in 2010, grew into an international movement after the BP oil disaster in April of that year. People came together to join hands, forming symbolic barriers against spilled oil and to stand against the impacts of other forms of extreme energy.
Four years later, as millions begin to understand that President Obama’s Climate Action Plan falls short if it fails to address keeping dirty fuels in the ground, there’s a rising tide of grassroots activism demanding that we choose a clean energy future over the dangerous and dirty fuels of the 20th century.
The coalition of organizations, activists and citizens around the world bring the message of clean energy to local and world leaders.
We invite activists to organize hundreds of events and Join Hands creating a powerful image to send to our elected officials.
We invite activists to call for the President maintain his rejection of the KXL and other tar sands pipelines and call on local and state leaders to protect our communities by rejecting projects that expand the extraction and use of fossil fuels — and instead accelerate the shift to clean, renewable energy.
In addition, these events will highlight urgent national and regional issues including:
- opposing coastal, offshore and Arctic drilling, and seismic blasting off the East Coast
- protesting mountaintop removal, tar sands mining, hydraulic fracturing, and LNG export terminals
And calling attention to the impact of climate disruption such as rising sea levels, super storms, drought, forest fires, flooding and ocean acidification.
Join Hands with us! It’s easy, visit our resource page for help.
Host an event in your local area.
It’s easy to do:
Click on the box with the Ocean issues or Land issues and register your event.
We provide everything you need to create a successful experience.
Whether it’s a group of 2 or 10,000 — it doesn’t matter.
Let’s stand together and “Say NO to dirty fuels and YES to clean energy.”
Thank you 2014 #JoinHANDS participants!
HANDS Mission Statement
- Bring together individuals and organizations to promote a clean energy future across the world and end our dependence on dirty fuels. Gather thousands of Americans and global citizens at beaches and cities to draw metaphorical and actual lines in the sand; human lines in the sand against fossil fuels that threaten our future.
- Move local, state, national and world leaders to adopt policies encouraging the growth of clean and renewable energy.
An Opportunity of National and Global Importance
- Now is the time for citizens across the globe to join hands and steer our energy policy away from our dependence on fossil fuels and towards clean energy and renewables.